Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Washi Tape/Envelope Card

I needed to make a card for my Stamp Club this past week and wanted to use something new.  Since I hadn't used the washi tape since it's come out, I decided to give it a try.  Washi Tape is all over Pinterest and crafting blogs lately but I just didn't get why.  Now I do!  It's so easy to use and really adds something to your card or craft project without a lot of work and without using DSP, an embossing folder or even ribbon.  Plus it's inexpensive!

I wanted to make a different kind of card using an envelope but hated to cut off most of my envelope and throw it away.  So I decided to cut a 4" x 5 1/2" piece of Whisper White card stock, score it in half at 2" and seal it on the sides with washi tape.  It was so easy and added a lot of color.  I loved that it didn't need to be even or match up on the back of my envelope piece.  I think the torn look of the washi tape adds an element of creativity to the card.  I also placed a little bit of washi tape on a scrap of Whisper White card stock and cut it out using the butterfly image from the Backyard Basic Framelits.  You could substitute a butterfly punch or different punch to add something to your pre-made envelope instead of using a framelit.  I added a pop of color behind the washi tape butterfly by punching out a piece of Melon Mambo with the Decorative Label Punch and adding it with a dimensional.


For the card insert, I cut a  4 1/4" x 5 3/8"piece of Melon Mambo card stock and added a 3 3/4" x 5" Whisper White layer to it.  I wanted to make sure that the card insert and pre-made envelope fit inside a regular sized envelope if someone wanted to place it in the mail.  I added my greeting in Night of Navy using the color combinations from the Gingham Garden Designer Washi Tape.  Then I scored the Whisper White card stock diagonally on my Simply Scored Scoring Tool using the Simply Scored Diagonal Plate.  After adhering the pieces of card stock together, I placed them inside my pre-made envelope.
My Stamp Club members loved this card and using the Washi Tape.  They loved it so much that they had to get some for themselves right away!  One club member went home and made 6 more cards right away using this card/pre-made envelope layout and the different types of washi tape they had at home.  If you've never tried Washi Tape, give it a try today.  You'll love how simple and quick it is to use on any card or craft project!
I used the Yippee-Skippee! stamp set for my greeting.

Ingredients:
Yippee-Skippee stamp set #131341 WM or #131344 CM
Gingham Garden Designer Washi Tape #129314 (washi tape comes in all 3 designs)
Decorative Label Punch #120907
Butterfly from Backyard Basics Framelits #129380 (substitute a punch if you don't have the framelits)
Simply Scored Scoring Tool #122334
Simply Scored Diagonal Plate #125586
Night of Navy ink
Whisper White and Melon Mambo card stock

No comments:

Post a Comment